Indian Queens Pit is a non-conformist preaching pit, that is protected as a Scheduled Monument. It was constructed within a disused open mine working that had formed part of a larger tin mining concern known by the names of Fatwork and Virtue, Wheal Cornwall and Indian Queens Consols.
Local Wesleyans approached the owner Henry Jenkyn Rowse, with a plan to convert the openwork to a replica of Gwennap Pit. It was opened by local preacher Capt. Elvins of Retew in 1850 and called the “Indian Queens United Wesleyan Sunday School Amphitheatre.” Within about two years however, Methodism in the area was in crisis, with a splinter group called the Wesley Reform Society breaking away under the auspices of Capt. Elvins. This group later became the United Methodist Free Church (1857), building its own ‘Immanuel Chapel’ in 1876.